Intervista A Laurie

« Older   Newer »
~•°Kiedis°•~
view post Posted on 19/10/2009, 16:13

l'ho trovata solo in inglese è un po' lunghetta. Parla sia di Speak, e sia di Catalyst. Quando ho tempo vi traduco le parti più interessanti :grin.gif:

You started your professional writing career by writing for your local newspaper and then for the Philadelphia Inquirer. Did you always want to be a writer? At what point did you decide that you wanted to write fiction for children?
I have always written for fun, but didn't think about writing books for children until my own kids were learning how to read. The day my youngest got on the bus for first grade, I took a solemn oath that I would try to get a children's book published in five years. It took me four.

You've written many books for all age levels: picture books, MG series fiction (Wild At Heart), historical fiction, and contemporary novels for teens. Where do you get all your ideas? And how do you find all that energy?

Finding ideas is not difficult. Finding energy and time is the real challenge. I see ideas everywhere — all I have to do is to watch kids in the grocery store or teenagers in the mall. I struggle to find the right combination of family time, writing time, and time spent traveling and speaking. But the work is so incredibly rewarding. There is just nothing like those moments when you know you've gotten a scene down, or you've finally honed a paragraph to the point where it sings. That motivates me.

Your most recent novel is a young adult story, CATALYST. I really enjoyed reading it. The main character, Kate Malone, is a college bound, type-A student who loves chemistry. You've said you got the idea for SPEAK, when you heard sobbing one night, and it turned out to be the main character Melinda. How did Kate and her story come about?
I wanted to write about a kid who looks like she has it all together, as opposed to the character in SPEAK who is obviously falling apart. I think we admire these "successful" kids — we envy them, wish our lives were that orderly. The truth is that under the surface, they are in pain, too. I also wanted to write about a girl who loves science and math because I thought that would be an interesting and unusual perspective. As soon as I started studying chemistry, I started hearing Kate. The writing was a peeling back of layers until she was ready to tell me where it hurt.

Kate's father, a preacher, seems to make time for everyone but his own daughter. Kate seems to accept this. I suspect that this is not a wholly foreign situation to many teens out there. Do you think that a relationship like Kate and her dad's can change for the better? What would you suggest to Kate or her dad to help them on their way?
Oh boy, I get to be Dr. Laurie. I think Kate should turn off the phones and sit her father down and tell him exactly how she feels and what she needs. Teenagers are supposed to pull away from their parents. That is part of the maturation process. But they are often unsure how to reach back for parental support, and parents are unaware of the need or unsure how to proceed. Teens scream for attention in lots of ways. I wish we could create a world in which they felt secure enough to ask for help the easy way. I also think that Kate's dad should buy a clue and look at the problems in his own house instead of rushing out to solve the ills of the world.

Of all the characters in CATALYST, whom do you relate to the most? And why?

Tough question. I think I am bifurcated in this book — part of me is Kate and part of me is Teri. And part of me is Travis (heh-heh-heh). Why? Well, I was/I am a preacher's daughter, so there are obvious parallels there. The part of me that is Teri is harder to define, deeper, more raw. It's the angry part of me. And I think Travis has an almost healthy view on a lot of things. I just wish he didn't have to work so much.

You mention in an interview with Authors 4 Teens that you hated chemistry in high school. The chemistry thread is prevalent throughout CATALYST. Where did this come from? Was that intentional (when you were writing the first draft)?
Completely intentional. I spent a long time learning chemistry from the ground up so I would be familiar with the vocabulary and the types of experiments Kate performed. I wanted to write about a teenager whose interests and passions were completely removed from mine. And I loathed chemistry in high school. But I think it is cool now.

Like Kate, you were a runner in high school. Kate finds escape in her running. Did you find the experience similar? Do you feel that sports are an important part of growing up?
Not quite right. I was not a runner in high school. I was on the swim team and I threw the shot put. I started running after my second child was born as a way to get in shape and clear my head. I am a slow and steady jogger and I love the way it makes me feel. I have always been the kind of athlete who throws herself completely into what she's doing, even to the point of stupidity and injury. I've never been good at moderation. I think that for many people, sports can be a huge part of growing up. But they aren't for everyone.

I remember the class distinctions in high school between those who were college bound and those who were not, and the perceptions each group had about the other. You delve into this topic in CATALYST. Was your high school experience similar? And where did you fall on that "line"?

I came from a family with college expectations, but it was unclear whether I was going to make it. One guidance counselor told me I was headed for prison (honest!). I had experiences with many different social groups in high school. The pressures on each group were different, but the common bonds were stronger than most people want to admit.
One of the things that really irritates me is how we, as a culture, marginalize the kids who don't go to college. They get the sense by the end of high school that they have failed us because they didn't get into a school that looks good on a bumper sticker. In fact, we have failed them. Every teenager in America deserves the chance to explore her passions, stretch her mind, and prepare for the next stage of her life without being made to feel stupid or unworthy.
By the way... I took some time off after high school, went to community college (which I loved), then transferred to Georgetown University where I earned a bachelor's in languages and linguistics.

You seem to have a firm grasp on high school life. Do you look back on your high school years fondly? Why or why not?
Freshman year was torture, but 10th and 11th grades weren't that bad. On the whole, however, I felt that high school was to be endured, not enjoyed. The best I did was to join the American Field Service and spend my senior year in Denmark. I learned an enormous amount there.

Kate attends the same high school as Melinda in SPEAK. In fact, we get a glimpse of Melinda in CATALYST. What made you decide to use Merryweather High for Kate's story as well?
Because I got so many letters from every part of the country insisting that Merryweather was EXACTLY like their school. The writers were talking about atmosphere, and I wanted to revisit that atmosphere myself.

I'm fascinated by titles. How do you come up with the titles to your books? And also, how did you come up with all those great sub-titles within Catalyst?
Titles usually take me a very, very long time. I went through about fifty before I came up with Catalyst. My editor and I were sitting in a workshop at a conference and I was doodling, trying to come up with the right title. She kept shaking her head and making suggestions that I didn't like. She had to step out of the room for a minute and while she was gone, I thought of "catalyst." I was so excited, I wrote it down on a separate piece of paper. When she came back in, she whispered that she had thought of the perfect title: "catalyst." I lifted the paper and showed her what I had written down. We both got goosebumps.
In both Speak and Catalyst, I wanted a word that addressed both the text and the sub-text of the book. The subtitles in Catalyst came from all that chemistry research I did!

You mention in your bio that you love librarians. What is your first memory of the library? Your fondest?

First memory: going with Leslie (kind of a big sister figure for me) to the central branch of the Syracuse library and getting my library card. It was filled with balconies and wrought iron railings - it seemed magical and scary and thrilling. The fondest memory was reading books on the floor of my elementary school library. That place was a sanctuary and it was always warm.

Okay, I have to ask. What was it like living on a pig farm in Denmark?
Not as smelly as you would think. The family I lived with were quite simply the kindest people on earth. They took me into their home and their hearts and they made sure I learned how to work. I picked rocks out of the fields, burned off crops, butchered ducks and pigs, fed everything, and shoveled plenty of manure. I also grew up and had the time of my life.

SPEAK is one of those novels that I'd wished I'd written. Are there any books out there that you wish you had written? Which ones?
Holes, Golden Compass, Weetzie Bat and The Watsons Go To Birmingham, 1963.
What are you reading right now?

Hole In My Life by Jack Gantos and lots of history about Colonial America, including John Adams' biography. I just got a galley of T.C. Boyle's new novel and I can't wait to get to it. And after that, I'm going to read Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood.

What inspires you?
Waking up alive.

What's the best thing about being a writer?

Living in my imagination, working in pajamas, proximity to refrigerator, being available when my kids need me.

What's the hardest thing about being a writer?
Financial worries, paying tons of taxes because I'm self-employed, getting health insurance. Boring grown-up junk. Mostly, it's a blast.

What is your typical work day like?
If I'm home, I get up around 6:30, get my kids off to school, then settle in for a morning's worth of writing. I try to do errands at lunch and usually have a phone meeting with the person who schedules all my travel. Afternoons are for more writing or reading/research. I don't answer the phone before noon, so afternoons are also for returning phone calls. The day ends when my kids come home from school, though I try to get in more reading time before bed. I don't watch much TV.
On the road, I find it very hard to concentrate. I am trying to learn how to focus no matter where I am, so I can get at least an hour's work done every day. Wish me luck.

What can fans expect next from you?
I hope my next YA novel will be out in 2004. I should have another picture book out by then. I don't like to talk about my work so early in the writing, so I'd rather not tell you what I think it is about.

What advice do you have for aspiring children's writers?
Take a break from what you are writing and fill a couple of hundred pages with your childhood memories. Focus on sensory details. That ought to give you enough material to keep you busy for a while.

view post Posted on 19/10/2009, 22:27

Advanced Member

Group:
Le Cape

Aspetto la traduzione Ross o.o mi è bastato ammattire con Speak col dizionario accanto!

~•°Kiedis°•~
view post Posted on 20/10/2009, 13:17

buahahahahah xD

~LaDè~ Cullen
view post Posted on 20/10/2009, 18:05

è molto simpatica *-*

meticcione33
view post Posted on 21/10/2009, 12:10

Io ne ho una in italiano che c'è sul nostro sito...parla delle differenze fra libro e film...

Carol Fitzgerald e Marisa Emralino di Teenreads.com hanno intervistato Laurie Anderson, il cui acclamato romanzo Speak ha dato vita anche a un film. Laurie parla delle difficoltà di tradurre i libri in film, delle similitudini e delle differenze tra il libro e la sua versione cinematografica, e dell’importanza di affrontare argomenti seri nelle storie per young adults.

Teenreads.com: Sei stata coinvolta nell’adattamento di Speak nell’omonimo film?

Laurie Halse Anderson: Non proprio. I produttori mi hanno dato la possibilità di lavorare sulla sceneggiatura, ma io ho declinato l’offerta. Ero impegnatissima nella scrittura di Catalyst e non volevo interrompermi. Sono però stata sul set del film per qualche giorno.

TRC: Ci è parso di capire che hai fornito alcuni commenti per il DVD di Speak. Cosa puoi dirci su questa esperienza? Com’è stato per te parlare della resa cinematografica del tuo libro?

LHA: Io e la regista, Jessica Sharzer, ci siamo incontrate in uno studio di registrazione a Manhattan. Ci hanno messo a disposizione una stanza speciale e hanno proiettato il film su uno schermo. Fondamentalmente abbiamo guardato il film e abbiamo chiacchierato come vecchie amiche (la adoro!). L’unica cosa che mancava erano i popcorn.

TRC: Dopo aver finito il romanzo, i lettori riescono ad avere un quadro definito di chi sia veramente Melinda, basandosi sui suoi monologhi interiori. Nel film il pubblico ha diretto accesso ai suoi pensieri solo in pochi momenti. Senza queste parti, credi che la caratterizzazione indiretta di Melinda sia sufficiente per presentarne un ritratto, così come l’hai pensato nel romanzo?

LHA: Cinema e letteratura sono due mondi diversi. Non c’è modo di trasformare completamente un libro in un film o viceversa. Il film non può catturare il monologo interiore della mia protagonista, gli spettatori si perdono il lato più divertente di Melinda, e penso che la sua crescita sia un po’ meno precisa sullo schermo. Ma non c’è nessun problema. Penso che abbiano fatto un ottimo lavoro amplificando i temi del mio libro, e sono onorata che abbiano mantenuto così tanto dello scheletro della mia storia e dei miei dialoghi.

TRC: Nel tuo romanzo affronti molti argomenti nei quali gli adolescenti si ritrovano – solitudine, depressione, ricerca d’identità, desiderio di comprensione, così come argomenti più forti che non sveleremo in questa sede, per non rovinare la sorpresa. Perché hai deciso di affrontare questi temi?

LHA: Essere teenager spesso fa schifo. È difficile, e solo pochi adulti riescono poi a parlarne onestamente. Questo è il mio lavoro. Provo a scrivere libri che mostrino teenager alle prese con situazioni diverse, dalle più serie alle più tranquille. Voglio mostrare ai miei lettori che c’è davvero una luce alla fine del tunnel.

TRC: Com’è stato possibile per te descrivere, in maniera così vivida e accurata, i pensieri e le ossessioni di un personaggio così travagliato ed emarginato come Melinda?

LHA: Mmm... perché anch’io ho avuto i miei problemi…

TRC: Melinda trova la sua salvezza nell’arte durante il suo periodo di “mutismo selettivo”. Quali attività trovi catartiche? Come scrittrice, hai mai vissuto situazioni simili, in cui cioè la tua abilità di comunicare tramite il linguaggio ti ha abbandonata?

LHA: Scrivere mi ha salvato molte volte. Quando sono giù, è l’unica cosa a cui mi aggrappo. Scrivere mi aiuta a dare un senso alle cose. È molto, molto più facile per me scrivere, che parlare di qualcosa.

TRC: Nel film la relazione di Melinda con i genitori è diversa rispetto a quella descritta nel romanzo. Ad esempio, nel film sceglie di aprirsi con sua madre, mentre nel libro si confida con il professore di arte, Mr. Freeman, nell’ultima parte del libro. Sembra una differenza lieve, ma indica un cambiamento nelle dinamiche familiari. Che cosa pensi di questa soluzione cinematografica? Cambia la tua visione originale di graduale apertura da parte di Melinda?

LHA: Non è una scelta che avrei fatto, ma in un certo senso mi piace. Creerà sicuramente interessanti dibattiti tra che ha letto il libro e chi ha visto il film – qual è il finale migliore? Quale dei due è più adatto al personaggio? Inoltre, dato che il film è narrato in terza persona, al pubblico viene data la possibilità di conoscere e comprendere i genitori di Melinda in modo più approfondito. Non le stanno vicino come dovrebbero, ma è palese che tengano a lei. Per questo, credo che il finale del film funzioni bene. Nel libro, invece, non avrebbe funzionato.

TRC: Solitamente si dice “non giudicare un libro dal film…” ma, a volte, gli strumenti di cui dispongono cinema e televisione riescono a ritrarre molti aspetti in maniera più efficace rispetto alla parola scritta. Pensi che alcune scene del film rappresentino sensazioni, atmosfere ecc. meglio del tuo libro?

LHA: La recitazione di Kristen Stewart (che interpreta Melinda) è fantastica. La sua espressività gioca un grosso ruolo. Penso che il film sia migliore del libro nella rappresentazione della violenza da lei subita.

TRC: Come in ogni adattamento cinematografico, alcuni elementi del romanzo sono stati necessariamente sacrificati sia per ragioni creative che di tempo. Ci sono particolari scene del libro che avresti voluto fossero rappresentate nel film?

LHA: Ooooh, domanda difficile. Avrei voluto che ci fosse più tempo per alcune delle scene di transizione, e più attenzione sul tentativo di Melinda di essere amica di Heather e delle Marte.

TRC: Hai detto in alcune interviste che il successo di Speak ti ha scioccato. Guardando il film e sapendo di averlo ispirato, cosa hai provato?

LHA: Mi sono sentita profondamente grata e allo stesso tempo confusa da ciò che avevo scatenato.

~•°Kiedis°•~
view post Posted on 21/10/2009, 17:43

grazie leo =D

meticcione33
view post Posted on 17/11/2009, 13:42

Lo sapevate che la scrittrice del libro, Laurie Halse Anderson, ha partecipato alle riprese del film, avendo anche una piccola parte?
Ha "recitato" nei panni di una delle custodi della mensa, servendo a Melinda il suo pranzo.
Ecco la foto: image

opidway
view post Posted on 31/7/2010, 11:34

zenerx

taaznissk
view post Posted on 11/11/2010, 20:25

Free and premium themes wordpress, joomla, magento at wpstyles.org

takasuwjs
view post Posted on 13/11/2010, 02:19

Marketing is the process by which companies create customer interest in goods or services. It generates the strategy that underlies sales techniques

SkibiaImmifek
view post Posted on 25/12/2010, 16:24

Simply how much can a company legally charge to let a policy holder out of his car insurance policy?
Just how much does your agency cost when someone needs to end and how much pressure do you use to maintain them?
What are some tips or something we can say if our consumer has several months still left on his current automobile coverage? Certainly, we are not going to hold back until his renewal comes due each and every time.

11 replies since 19/10/2009, 16:13   4987 views